POPSOCKET, THE UNLIKELY iPHONE FRIEND FOR VIDEOGRAPHY
MAKING YOUTUBE VIDEOS WITH YOUR IPHONE? GET THE POP SOCKET.
I know, this is a photography website predominantly and I'm talking about something for videography, but truth is we all need to be multi-talented nowadays. When I film one of my favorite tools for filming is, believe it or not...the pop socket! Here's why...
Everywhere you look, someone is selling a high-end item for iPhone videography. There are amazing cameras out there but really lets face it, the iPhone does a great job with HD video and even audio. Recently I went on a week long trip to China and then another to the Carolinas. The Carolinas was exclusively filmed on the iPhone and many of the shots that I was able to get was because of the pop socket attached to my phone case. Sometimes I drove alone and other times my friend drove.
6 REASONS WHY THE POP SOCKET MADE FILMING ON THE IPHONE EASIER
1. I used the pop socket to prop my phone up and put it on the hood of the car, because I wanted to shoot myself driving (5 mph) and have the trees reflect on my windshield.
2. It lets you stick your hand out the window and gives a much better grasp of your phone, in case it flies out of your hand. In fact, a few times it saved my iPhone 7 from launching down the highway.
3. The same pop socket is now on it's 3rd case, and probably attached/detached about 10 times. They are dependable with stickability.
4. I have a better grasp of it when my arm is used like a jib
5. I can handle it better because my fingers can can move better than my wrist sometimes and that gives me access to angles that are harder to get.
6. It's unbelievably compact. They just fit so nicely in your pocket and you never really notice it on the back of the case.
Bonus: One time I did drop my phone out of my hand but that's because I accidentally hit the side of the table. The phone dropped to the ground the bounced on the open-position pop socket, kind of giving it a cushion bounce. I know, that's just good luck but it saved my screen from cracking.
We have links to Amazon for the pop socket. We do have an affiliate program and may receive a commission if you choose to purchase any products based on our recommendations. This is how we pay for the site but we would ONLY recommend products that we are true fans of. That will always be the case!