HOW I HIRE A MODEL FOR A PHOTO SHOOT
How do you hire a model for your shoot and what should you look for? If you're wondered how models are hired for big ad campaigns, watch this video below. You will learn everything that you need to help you hire the perfect model!
If you make the mistake of selecting the wrong model, you could be risking the entire photo shoot and possibly your relationship with the client. This video will help you through the process and I take you step-by-step into the selection process of WHY we hired Vanessa (our model) from Wilhelmina Models.
The modeling agency will send a "package" (online gallery of options who fit your criteria for this particular job). In viewing the package, I look for the following to help me decide on the final choice:
- Can the model give a series of emotions of are they limited to only a couple of looks?
- Can they work with the variety of textiles and clothing options?
- Can they push sex appeal and offer the same in a more conservative fashion?
- Do they understand their angles and in relation to the brand?
- Your job is to be the eye for the hair, makeup and wardrobe stylist. What do they need?
- Have they worked with other brands before? (Why this is critical)
- What size is the model? This will affect the work of the wardrobe stylist.
- Review their digitals to see the real person vs. retouched portfolio images
- Social media is there for more than just numbers, it tells you who they are. Make sure you bring the right person in front of your client.
- Is this their first shoot?
- Are they pleasant to have on set? (This applies to your entire crew)
Capturing the perfect image for your client is only the tip of the iceberg. Setting them up for a successful shoot, creating a campaign they can build on and providing an on-set experience for everyone involved is also the duty of the photographer and producer.
HOW CAN YOU LEARN MORE PHOTOGRAPHY FOR FREE?
Photographers as mentioned, I didn't have a lot when starting out. I did wish though there was a community to help me, encourage me and share ideas with me. That's why I created the following communities to help your photography gain momentum.
INSTAGRAM: My Instagram is where it all started. Join me and the rest of us there! It's called @HowtoPhotograph and we post daily tips on photography, the business of photography, how to start your photography career and more. I also post IG Stories and now IGTV.
PRIVATE FACEBOOK GROUP: This is my newest extension and I love it! My PRIVATE Facebook group is exactly that, private and filled with great people. Every day new people join and all of them go through a questioning process. You must promise that you will be respectful and not spam. Hang out with us, ask questions or post your questions. I am very involved in that and contribute also. Also on Thursdays, we do a really cool and free photography portfolio review. The whole community joins and gives notes to those that want to post images. I'm also usually involved in that. Join us!
NEWSLETTER: Do you want to shadow me on set? I pick from my newsletter sometimes. Do you want to work for me, or one of my friends? I sometimes hire from my newsletter. Do you want freebies for workshops, tutorials or big discounts? It's from the Newsletter first! If you can handle 2-3 emails a month...this is for you and your email is always safe with me. Click here to join for free!