IGTV for Photographers (7 Reasons to get it now)
What is IGTV?
IGTV is Instagrams best innovation in a long time, and finally, something that I can agree with. IGTV stands for Instagram TV. It allows for HD TV, in vertical mode and is an independent app from the actual Instagram app. It does with in conjunction with the IG app and allows for up to 1 hour of video content that is uninterrupted and is a gift for content creators.
Where traditional video was landscape mode (Youtube & Facebook Videos), IGTV allows for the user to record in a more natural vertical state that is intuitive, and allows for the viewer to recieve the content the way they naturally hold their phone. No more flipping the phone to the side to view the video content, as we did on Youtube.
It also is a major extension of Instagram stories which only allows :15 clips, this is up to 1 hour of video. Moving forward, IG stories are for the short messages that require only a couple clips but no longer a stream of 15 second clips. For those people wanting to create longer content and uninterrupted, there is IGTV.
Is IGTV helpful for photographers?
IGTV is absolutely essential and helpful for photographers. It allows the photographer to share content from their shoot, without having to stop recording every 15 seconds and save the clip. For my sets, it lets me walk around and introduce everyone on set. It lets me show the equipment that I'll be using that day, showcase the set, the model and the mood boards without having to stop and start every 15 seconds. I can show more videos like this, on the Instagram TV network
As a busy photographer on set, this is a gift! This allows me to show my audience at @HowtoPhotograph everything at once and then lets me get back to work.
Here are 7 ways that IGTV (Instagram TV) is great for photographers
- FASTER CONTENT: Recording straight from the phone means that you'll be able to pass your content faster to your audience. Record 5 or 15 minutes, then post it directly. As the audience matures and has a growing need for REAL content, this becomes more and more acceptable to post without major edits.
- NATIVE/INTUITIVE: No more phone flips. What seems like a small ask is proving to be a lot for some users, as it's become a chore to go from landscape to vertical mode. This is easier for people to use, and they'll likely stay on your platform longer.
- BIGGER IMAGES: If filmed correctly, you'll be able to show more detail with bigger images. Have you seen what a landscape video looks like on the current version of Instagram or Instagram stories? It's unwatchable and small. This takes the big video content of stories and packs in 1 hour's worth of content.
- HOW CAN PHOTOGRAPHERS BENEFIT FROM IGTV? If you post tutorials like I do at @HowtoPhotograph this is amazing. If you like to tell longer stories, maybe do commentary on your photographs this is beautiful and useful for you. It allows you up to 1 hour of access, and stops reminding the viewer every 15 seconds that they can skip. You can post your photographs and give commentary on the how & why behind the image. You can use it for your podcasts. Film your podcast on IGTV and then take the audio to your podcast service provider.
- FASTER VIEWER/MORE VIEWERS: The Youtube audience is different than the IG audience. Getting them to swipe up and see the link on another platform is difficult and not successful as some content creators hope. This keeps your viewer on the same platform and will get you more eyes.
- GIVES THE REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS A VOICE: You're not just a button pusher and app user. You have thought, talent, knowledge of photography. You can now talk about your photography to great lengths and photo fans will love it. For those that just push a button, they will skip this crucial step. You're an artist, let the world hear about your creativity!
- MORE VIEWS: When I post on Instagram, videos are the worst and most ignored. It's hard to get a lot of views, and so many people don't post as many videos on IG. When you see the views on stories, it's usually double or more. Many times you'll ask them to leave the platform and see more of your work on Facebook or Youtube. Now you keep them there, and if you're getting that many views on stories, you can now add the views from IGTV. Video does better on stories and presumably on IGTV also.
If you want to learn more about photography, please consider signing up for my private facebook group where photographers help other photographers and no spamming is allowed! You can join that by clicking here. (It will ask you 3 questions, please answer them to be accepted)
If you want to shadow me on sets, visit and see how I shoot you can do that by signing up for my mailing list. I also pick contest winners from the mailing list, give freebies, huge discounts on specials and courses, and give additional tutorials for free. Click here to sign up for that! Yes, I said you can shadow me on set. I allow a couple people from time to time, it's an awesome experience!